Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Tourist in Cajamarca

Maestras católicas, Maristas, Buen Socorro, and Redemptoristas...a reverse nun run is what I did over the weekend...kinda ;) Young religious sisters  from the area of Piura get together annually for a little vacation. This year, 5 were able to come and they planned a weekend trip to the touristy town of Cajamarca. I was given the option to stay in Lima or to join the sisters of their trip. I felt like I was a little outnumbered, but I had a really nice time. Rather than visiting each of their convents and learning about their lives, we all met here and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them all! 


The convent where we stayed. 


San Francisco church right in the center of town:


Some dancers we encountered along our tour. I really like the music from this region. 


Halfway up the mount, looking Dian on the city. 


A little over 400 of the steps to get to that little chapel...but the view was worth it!


Of course a snack break at the top is always a good idea for the tired tourists. 


After 400 steps, here's the view of that same chapel from the other side. 


Of course, the tourist pose! I did get a little sunburned ;)


I admit it..Kansas girl fascinated by the fish shop. And the fellows were nice enough to pose for me! Boy did it stink in there!


In our downtime, I loved watching the hummingbirds at this tree in our hostel/convent. You have to look closely to see him-they move fast! 


We bathed at the Incan baths. Natural thermal springs. I should mention that we didnt have water at our hostel, so this stop was one of my favorites! We woke up at 4:30 and arrived by 5am do we didnt have to wait in line. Popular site. 


Fresh bread on a Sunday morning. 8 for 1 sol. So yummy!! 


Or a fresh chick also available...


Or cuy (Guinea pig). Dead or......


Alive. You choose! 

The sisters on our hike at the granja porcon. 


While the sisters took naps, I went on a guided your all by myself. I met a lot of neat people and was reminded how much I love traveling solo. 

This bridge was over what the called the rio grande. (Not sure if that's the real name). The villagers rake advantage of the clean water as you can see the clean laundry laying out to dry on the riverbank. 



This was fascinating to me. A necropolis. Evidence of over 300 graves here that trace back to 1000 years BC! It was called the ventanillas  (from the word ventana-little windows) Human remains are found in those little windows.  



Near the end of the tour, our guide serving up some chicha. A typical drink down here made from boiled corn and probably a lot of sugar. 



Now I'm back in Chulucanas. Pictures from here to come later. Having difficulties syncing my pics from iPhone to iPad hopefully just due to slow connection here. Me and technology don't get along well! This post is Fromm iPhone. Que rollo. 























1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Anna! I've been wondering if you'd eaten the infamous guinea pig yet. Your adventures are awe-inspiring, especially the friends you've made and people you've encountered. We miss you in Wichita and wish you a blessed holiday!

    ReplyDelete